Thursday 6 July 2017

Okay

“Are you okay?”

If I were anything less than okay,
Would you still want to be my friend?
If I told you I wear kohl
To distract you from my tired eyes
Swollen from a night of stifled screams
Would you still want to look at me?
I sit at work
I remember techniques, I know protocols
But I’m hollow
Would you still hire me?
I remember how to love
I remember how to laugh
But if I took a break
Would you still want me around?
What if I told you I’ve lost my spirit
It was stolen by chaos
Of doubt, of an apathy fighting with itself
Would you still want to listen to me?
When you talk to me
I often don’t know who is responding
Would that scare you away?
Would you want me despite my melancholy?
My latent, trigger-happy melancholy
Would you feel a need for me
If you knew my warmth was practised?


“Of course I’m okay”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay

“Are you okay?” If I were anything less than okay, Would you still want to be my friend? If I told you I wear kohl To distract y...