Thursday 6 July 2017

The Meaning of No

It’s not your fault
Perhaps you stayed home the day they taught “no” at school
Let me break it down for you

It’s a single syllable
Wielding the power of objection
You can question it, feel free
You lose that right though
If I say it to you
When you’re two centimeters from my face

It’s commonly used to express dissent
What is it not?
An invitation to assert your will
And monopolise the air I was breathing
Choking me with a lack of choice

It means I do not want your hands
Undressing me quicker than your eyes
I do not want your lips
Obstructing mine from mouthing “no”
It isn’t my signature
On an NOC
Allowing you to claim my personal space
Giving you ownership of my body
Don’t brandish your entitlement
To drown out my pleas
Don’t amplify my shame
My gender isn’t a license
To assert your freewill

I cried so you would leave
Not so you would come closer
In the name of comfort

I cried so you would see yourself
As the animal that was before me

No.
It means stay away

And take your hungry eyes with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay

“Are you okay?” If I were anything less than okay, Would you still want to be my friend? If I told you I wear kohl To distract y...